Motor Vehicle - FAQs

Motor Vehicle - Frequently Asked Questions

For Non-Motor Vehicle FAQs, visit these other pages:

Search Criteria


•   1. Can I renew my vehicle registration online?

Yes! Most vehicles can be renewed online at

•   2. If my title, registration card, or tabs are lost how do I obtain a duplicate?

SFN 61982 Application for Duplicate Credentials must be completed in full and signed by the registered owner.

  • The type of duplicate being requested must be selected

  • The reason for the duplicate must be selected

  • If a lien holder is on record additional documentation is required

  • Fees apply

•   3. We just bought a new vehicle. What do we need to do to register it and get plates?

If you purchased the vehicle from a North Dakota dealership, they provide temporary registration for 75 days.

You also have the option to obtain a 30-Day temporary registration.

Here is some additional information you may find helpful: Buying a Vehicle.

•   4. I am trying to transfer the title of a vehicle. Where can I get more information?

The Buying a Vehicle and the Selling a Vehicle sections have a lot of information that describe these processes. Please visit these sections for further information.

•   5. I am trying to obtain a Mobility Impaired placard. Where can I get more information?

Please visit the Mobility Impaired Placards/Parking section for further information.

•   6. I have just moved to North Dakota. How do I get a North Dakota title and license plates in my name?

SFN 2872 Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Motor Vehicle must be completed in full and signed by the owner.

• Out-of-state title must be submitted with completed application. If vehicle is financed we must have a completed application form, with name and mailing address of lienholder, loan account number, and copy of the out of state registration. Any motor vehicle excise, use, or sales tax paid at the time of purchase will be credited.

• If your vehicle is titled with Alaska, Delaware, Georgia, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon, or any foreign country or sovereign nation excise tax will be due on the current market value of the vehicle.

• License fees are based on the year and weight of the vehicle.

• Title transfer fee.

• Abandoned Disposal fee.

•   7. What is the law concerning tinted windows on vehicles?

An individual may not operate a motor vehicle with any object, material, or tinting displayed, affixed, or applied on the front windshield or any window unless the object, material, or tinting in conjunction with the windshield upon which it is displayed, affixed, or applied has a light transmittance of at least seventy percent (70%). This does not apply to windows behind the operator if the vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements (39-21-38 & 39-21-39 NDCC).

NOTE: A physician can no longer authorize darker window tinting for medical purposes.