Permits are a necessary and required part of highway projects in North Dakota. Therefore, permitting deals with the completion, review, and processing of permits with various agencies which are required by state and federal laws and regulations. Below you will find many of the commonly used permits and resources for North Dakota highway projects.
- Phone: (701) 328-3736
- Email: Environmental Permitting Section
United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- Omaha District Permitting Program
- Omaha District Regulatory Program: Jurisdictional Information and Section 404 Permit information
- 33 CFR Part 328 (Definition of Waters of the United States)
- 33 CFR Part 329 (Definition of Navigable Waters of the US)
Section 404 of the Clean Water Act Permits
- This permit is obtained from the Corps for the discharge of dredge or fill material into waters of the United States, including wetlands.
Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 Permit.
- This permit is for structures or work (other than bridges and causeways) affecting the navigable waters of the United States.
- Nationwide Permits
- Questions and Answers
- NWP 3 – Maintenance
- NWP 14 – Linear Transportation Projects
- NWP 23 – Approved Categorical Exclusions
- Individual permits are needed when impacts are outside of the nationwide permit threshold.
US Fish and Wildlife (USFWS)
US Coast Guard (USCG)
- Section 9 Permit
- Permit for construction of bridges or causeways over navigable waters of the United States.
Federal Emergency Managment Agency (FEMA)
- Plan Preparation Guide
- Contains a collection of reoccurring plan sheets and notes.
- CADD Standards
- NDDOT CADD Standards and associated resource files.
- Design Manual
- Chapter II Section IV: Wetlands, Vegetation and Environmental Permitting
- Reference and Forms (Appendix Files)
- Environmental Information
- Appendix A – Wetland Report Examples
- Appendix B – Wetland Resources
- Appendix C – Permit Examples
- Appendix D – Checklists
- Appendix E – Miscellaneous Resources
- Appendix F – Forms
North Dakota State Water Commission (NDSWC)
- Sovereign Lands Information and Application Form
- Water Permit information and Application Form
- Floodplain Permit Information
- Floodplain/Floodway Management Permits
- Additional information available from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Application/Notification to Construct or Modify a Dam, Dike, Ring Dike or Other Water Resource Facility