Driver Record Services/Suspensions
Find information about requesting a copy of a driving record, defensive driving courses for point
reduction, alcohol offenses, requesting an administrative hearing, paying a reinstatement fee, requesting a temporary restricted license (work permit), SR-22 insurance requirements and requests for crash reports.
Request a copy of your Driving Record
Request an Administrative Hearing
Pay your Reinstatement Fee
Lifetime CDL Disqualification Reinstatement
- Contact: If you have any questions regarding the application process or the Lifetime CDL Disqualification Reinstatement program please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifying for a Temporary Restricted License (TRL)
A TRL is a restricted license issued to persons whose driving privileges have been suspended or revoked for certain offenses. A TRL authorizes the operation of a non-commercial motor vehicle for work purposes, educational purposes, or the need to perform essential life maintenance needs. By law, the driver must serve a portion of the suspension with no type of restricted driving privileges. This time frame varies depending on the reason for the suspension.
An individual must be at least eighteen (18) years of age in order to be granted a TRL. If the TRL is for educational purposes, a copy of the school schedule, signed by a school administrator is required.
A TRL will NOT be granted for:
- A second alcohol offense within five (5) years.
- Anyone under the age of 18.
- Operating Commercial motor vehicles.
- Anyone who was convicted for violating restrictions in a previous TRL.
- Anyone with two or more criminal convictions, resulting from separate incidents, and have not been violation free for 1-year.
Application for a TRL (work permit)
TRL Application (SFN 2254)
24/7 Sobriety Program Requirements for a TRL
If an offender has been charged with or convicted of a second or subsequent violation of section 39-08-01 or equivalent ordinance, and NOT subject to an unrelated suspension or revocation, a TRL shall be issued upon the restriction that the offender participate in the 24/7 Sobriety Program. If the offender violates the restrictions of the 24/7 Sobriety Program, the TRL will be canceled and not reissued.
24/7 Sobriety Program Form (SFN 60363)
SR-22 Insurance Requirements (High risk insurance) or (Proof of Financial Responsibility for the future)
- An SR-22 can be purchased through your motor vehicle insurance provider.
- An SR-22 filing is needed for the following reasons:
- Conviction for driving under the influence
- Conviction for actual physical control
- Conviction for driving under revocation
- Conviction for driving under suspension when the length of the suspension period is for 91 or more days.
- For any crash where no insurance was in effect at the time of the crash
- For a civil judgment arising from the operation of a motor vehicle crash
- Conviction for manslaughter in which a motor vehicle is used.
- Conviction for negligent homicide in which a motor vehicle is used.
- Conviction for a felony in which a motor vehicle is used.
- Proof of financial responsibility must be kept on file with the director for 1-year from;
- The date driving privileges are reinstated
- The date a TRL is issued
- The date of the motor vehicle crash in which there was no insurance in effect at the time of the crash.
Request a crash report (SFN 4901)
Additional information regarding alcohol violations, the suspension and reinstatement of driving privileges, and the assessment and reduction of points on your driving record.
When a driver accumulates 12 or more points on their driving record, their driving privileges are suspended for 7-days for every point over eleven. Drivers are eligible to take a defensive driver training course to reduce their total points by three, once every twelve months. A driver-training course can also be taken ‘in lieu of points’ being entered on your driving record for some violations with 5 or less points. Approved driver training courses, also known as Defensive Driving Courses, can be found on the driver information and education page.